Thursday, April 08, 2010

Columbia's joint engineering cum journalism degree - great

Columbia's joint engineering cum journalism degree - sounds like something way over due. Below is a link to Wired Magazine's article.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/04/will-columbia-trained-code-savvy-journalists-bridge-the-mediatech-divide/ I left the link native - my own creative commons attribute.

Now then, whilst I applaud this: I'm a chemistry/maths grad myself, I'm looking forward to seeing institutions that go a step further in inter disciplinary skills.

There's an aspect of journalism which could do with more rigour from an earlier standpoint and that is developing cross discipline analytical and enquiry skills, that includes a constructivism approach.

But Columbia's computer journalism programme is a great step in the digi-ecology. It won't surprise you how many journos balk at CSS or actions scripting.

For the model journalist in the area of journalism meets computers google Adrian Holavaty.