Friday, February 15, 2013

Cracking the knowledge bank in video and net content

David speaking at Innovation conference in Cairo

You put it in, read the markets, and then rebuild.


Welcome to the dynamic, transient knowledge economy, where you might sometimes think you're chasing ghosts.

If you're lucky the deal is symmetrical. By the time you've finished, exhaustion is tempered by the understanding you've given your all, and you've learned something about the journey and yourself.

My week ends where it started. Three death marches, which in the Net world of Soho means 20 hour working days from dawn to dawn.  You smack your lips at 5 in the morning.

A bibliography of ten pages, needs rechecking to the standards of Harvard referencing and thanks to Dreamweaver CS6 responsive design in CSS just got a whole lot easier. Two disparate worlds collide.

But now, even the BBC, 'the market' is looking for journalists that can code.

The weekend sees a flying visit to Cairo to speak at an international Forum for Media Innovations. 

The 'put in' is a presentation: the end of news' hegemony. The 'read', the markets concerns over what is the new 'must have content'. The 'rebuild': it's strangely about news and info that is transcendent. There are better ways of devising news content, but it depends what you want.

By wednesday, following the BAFTAs, it's the turn of the RTS to celebrate and honour its talent. This year I judged the innovation entries. They were exemplary . The victor was a hard choice.

Thursday sees me off to Dublin for last preps for the submission of my six years-in-the-making thesis. I'm starting to call it the missing chapter in the development in digital media.

The 'put in', I certainly couldn't have done this by myself, and I'm very grateful to some of the world's respected film makers and thinkers lending a hand to my new theories.

The 'reading of the market': now this was serendipitous. Last week Britain's communication regulatory body OFCOM handed the contract for a local London television to The Evening Standard.

Deja vu. 20 years ago, one of the groups in my study launched Channel One TV. The 'rebuild': there are enough lessons to be learnt from this study to deliver a local station that could be head and shoulders above anything ever produced.

By Saturday revisions to my site coding in jquery, nailing down the script for my first fictional shoot, the Masters students readying themselves for their launch, should carry me over to the next. After that anythings possible!